Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chocolat

So...today was/is sort of a "blah" kinda day for me. We had a meeting today about a summer camp that we'll be working, which was productive and exciting. Then we decided to eat lunch. Poland tends to have an abundance of "Kebab" places. Kebabs are this... a combination of some type of meat (usually chicken or pork) that they shave off of a giant rotating stick, and stick it in a pita with a ton o' vegatables on top. The meat looks like this: It's been over a year since I ate one of these...mainly because I got DOG-SICK after I ate it. Blech. Since then, when I'm in the mood for foor...this shaved meat soaked in garlic sauce is the LAST thing that my tummy craves. But today, the people we were with wanted to go so I just went along hoping that this experience wouldn't be as bad as the last. Well, it wasn't as terrible afterwards this time as it was before...but pleasant it was not. I would have much rather had some good 'ole Subway. No more kebabs for me! So, after we ate I was dying for something to relieve my taste buds. We headed to the mall where I was anticipating purchasing a double chocolate chip cookie. This is the SECOND time I've been to this Subway and they've let me down with a lack of freshly baked cookies. :( We continued to walk around the mall and ventured into the "World Cuisine" store where they sell American imports. Today, they had things like a boxes of 8 poptarts (blueberry, strawberry, apple-cinnamon, or smores) for about $12 bucks! Apparently poptarts are a delicacy here. They also had some random things like...one box of Betty Crocker Brownie Mix, one box of Chocolate Chip cookie mix (all ridiculously overpriced), marshmellows (big and small), about 4 gargantuan bottles of Worchesteshire sauce, Ceasar salad dressing for about $7, and some more randomness. It's just a fun store to go in and look around to see what things make it over and how much they charge people for imported American foods. This store had imports from Great Britain, Africa, Japan, and lots of other places. BUT...as we were leaving I spotted this little bar of goodness and couldn't resist . It costs me about $2 which wasn't terrible I suppose. It's been SO LONG since I had Hershey's chocolate. Europe does have some pretty fabulous chocolate, so I'm not complaining about that...but there's just something about Hershey's. It just melts in your mouth and it has such a distinct taste from other chocolates. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :)
Speaking of Chocolate, we did have our "Chocolate Cafe" last Friday night (I think it was last Friday) anyway, it went over INCREDIBLY well! We had a blast! About 15 students came, we ate lots of chocolate, watched the movie "Chocolat" and ended with a promo for our new coffeehouse ministry "The Well." We had a really positive response from all of the students who attended so we are really looking forward to starting this ministry up on the 29th!

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I had a Hershey bar today too! Well it was actually two mini Hershey bars. But you're right, they are yummy! I will not tell you that Mark and I went to Subway yesterday for supper and I also won't tell you that they had cookies. They were stale and yucky....you wouldn't have like them. I only slowly savored the one I bought because I had already paid for it...

Soon. You will have American fast food and chocolate soon. ;) Love You!

Godsgal said...

=) i think Hannah had the same reaction when she had kebab in Warsaw- it may not be you~ =)