Thursday, September 4, 2008

Finally Home and Trying to Get it Together...

Again, I say "I'm sorry" to those of you who have kept up with our blog for two years...I could have at least written a "Hey! We're home!" but honestly, things have just been crazy. And strange.

We left our home in Poland on July 28th. Words cannot express the feelings and emotions that came with this staple event in our lives. The Sunday before we left I cried and cried and cried on my poor sister's shoulder during church. It's been a long time since I've cried that hard. I had just bottled up the emotions for months, working with the KBC Team, working an English camp, and then traveling with Kellie & Blake, plus trying to pack everything up. There just wasn't time for emotion. Saying goodbye to our students, to Elaine & Jason, Wojtek & Agnieszka...just heartbreaking. Packing up our home of two years...the longest we've ever lived somewhere as a married couple...in just a couple of days and a few suitcases...no words. Plus the ridiculous anxiety that came with getting back on a 9 hour flight...horrendous. Again...my poor sister, she was SO there for me. I don't think I could have made it without her.

Anyway, we finally made it home, slept in OUR bed for two nights and then drove to Chicago to pick up our 4 Polish youth who would stay with us for two weeks...(one for 4). We took these kids everywhere. Thanks to everyone who helped get them here, visited them, or provided us with tickets...you were a huge blessing! We've been taking the past two weeks to try to get some sort of "normal" life back together here and again...draining. Of course it's wonderful to be home and to be around family...but I think most people don't understand how difficult such a transition is. Our life as a married couple has been in Poland. We've lived on our own, we had a daily routine that we enjoyed and worked for us, we knew how to deal with daily tasks there...cleaning, buying groceries, paying bills, using telephones. Everything is different here. We're literally having to learn how to share a home with parents, use cell phones, buy "American" groceries, decide what kind of sponge to wash my dishes with! I know, it sounds ridiculous...but literally all seems knew and strange to us. Frankly, it's been tough. I know it's been forever since I've sent out a newsletter too and I had planned on sending out a final one and I still hope to, but it's just been the last thing I've wanted to do...to have to think of all of the things I left behind there, while I'm trying to move on here. I just haven't been up to it. But we hope you know how much we've appreciated your support and prayers.

And don't get me started on jobs! We're trying to figure out where the Lord wants us right now. I think I may have found something I can put my time and energy into. Please just keep us in your prayers as we keep seeking and trusting the Lord for guidance.

We will be leading campus ministry at Henderson Community College this year so that's one thing that we're really excited about. One thing we do know...the Lord has given us a heart for college students! We're so thankful that He's made it where we can spend this working with students where we're at, while still trying to save money for seminary.

We have two seminaries in mind right now...Grand Rapids Theological Seminary and Wheaton College outside of Chicago. We're hoping to go and visit both colleges in October. :)

Well, that's the update for now! It has been nice to be back on here and post a blog entry. It is familiar and I have missed it. I hope you've enjoyed it too!

Blessings!

No comments: