Sunday, April 13, 2008

All from Ice Cream

As I've mentioned before, Scott and I sponsor a little boy living in Uganda through World Vision. Isaac is his name and he is precious precious precious! Scott and I have something we call an ice cream fund. Last year we heard the statistic that Americans spend enough money on ice cream in one year to eliminate world hunger. So how do we take that info and put it into practical use? Not eat ice cream? That wouldn't do anybody and good! Plus we love ice cream! But, it is a scary statistic...so we decided to set up an "Ice Cream Fund." We decided that YES INDEED we would eat ice cream, but we would keep track of each cone and every zloty spent on ice cream and put that same amount into a separate fund and we would decide how to spend it at the end of the year. Last year the two of us spent roughly 100 bucks on ice cream alone. We decided in December that we would see if we could somehow give that money to our sponsored child, Isaac and his family. At Christmas we sent the gift through World Vision. What a precious gift we received this month. We just got a letter in the mail this month from Isaac and his family. With our measely $100 he bought what you see in this picture. Here he is with his uncle (whom he lives with). With the money he bought a school uniform, a backpack, new shoes, a matress, extra food for the family (he has 5 siblings), and a "she goat" who they say is pregnant. :) Scott and I teared up while reading this letter from him. He and his family have been in our life for 2 years now. This is most precious gift we've ever received, to be able to help provide for this family and see how excited he is about his new uniform and just this excited look on his face...worth a million dollars if we had it. I'll say it again...if you aren't sponsoring a child through World Vision I can't promote it enough. :) Our precious Isaac and his family have enriched our lives and blessed us abundantly. One day, we will go to visit him. :)

On another fun note...today is my birthday! And a lovely one it's been! I woke up this morning to a beautiful card made by my wonderful husband. He gave me my birthday present (a new rainjacket YAY!) and made me some INCREDIBLY YUMMY vanilla/cinnamon pancakes for breakfast!

I got emails and phone calls from my family and friends from home. :) :) :) This evening friends came over and we had a great time! Today is also Elaine's birthday so we decided to throw a party and celebrate together. :)


A great day. :)

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I don't know how I managed not to post on your birthday post, but I did. SO here's another belated bloggy happy birthday wish!

Happy Belated Birthday Jackie!