Sunday, March 9, 2008

Yesterday

We woke up this morning kinda tired, it’s been sort of a long weekend with The Well and all. Yesterday was a nice day. Scott took me out to dinner and we went to see one of our students who sings in a choir. They’re concert was at this lovely cathedral about 20 minutes away from our place (on foot). She had invited us to the concert so we went to support her. Something about it struck me. Here in this place we’re surrounded by what seems like cold, lifeless, giant cathedrals where things have just become routine. Easter is coming up so the concert included songs about the crucifixion of Jesus. I think that as Protestant Christians we usually allow ourselves to just become “comfortable” with Jesus. We tell people about how He’s our “good friend” and we can talk to him about the most ridiculous things…which I do. BUT, I think we allow ourselves to forget…the Lord is REGAL…he’s the King of all kings. Sitting in that church last night listening to the choir sing, it just sent a chill through my bones. I imagined the angels mourning over the death of Jesus while that choir was singing. The sounds filled that big, cold, somewhat lifeless building with the presence of the Lord. I found myself with goosebumps every now & then. I just let myself forget how big the Lord is, how righteous and perfect, how immaculate He is. And the thing that touched my heart the most: Sitting all around me were Polish babcza’s (bab-cha’s) or little old lady’s…some with friends, others by themselves. I’ve never said that we’re here to bash the Catholic church or convert people to the Protestant faith…it’s not about that for us. It’s about helping people deeper their relationship with Christ and hopefully deepening our own while we’re here…which I believe we have. To look at those little old ladies…they’re something else, truly. They are committed warriors of their faith. Whenever I see them on the trams, it’s guaranteed that they’ll be praying whenever they pass a church…I hear them. They love the Lord. Sure…there are some things about the Catholic faith that well…are questionable as far as putting Mary on such a high pedestal or all of the rules and regulations that they must follow to be good Catholics…but who’s to say that the Protestant church is any “better off” or “are TRUE Christians.” That’s bull if you ask me. When I see someone following Jesus, living like He lived, teaching what He taught…those are the people I recognize as Christians. Denomination is the furthest thing from my mind. I’ll leave you with a video of that choir singing last night. The quality may not be fantastic.

No comments: